The German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc., also known as the Parent Club by breed enthusiasts, was formed in 1913 & incorporated February 7, 1916, by seven people:
Anne Tracy, Margaret C. Throop, Edith May Schley, Vemon Castle, John Volkman, Paul Huhn, & B.R. Ruggles
The purposes for which the Corporation was formed are:
1) To promote the breeding of the German Shepherd Dog;
2) To define precisely and publish definition of the true type, and to urge the adoption of such types on
breeders, judges, dog show committees, etc., as the only recognized and unvarying standard by which
the German Shepherd Dog is to be judged, and which may in the future be uniformly accepted as the
sole standard of excellence in breeding and awarding prizes of merit;
3) To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed by offering prizes, supporting
certain shows, encouraging the development of working qualities and taking any other steps that may
4) To promote its most conspicuous characteristics as Police Dog, War Dog, Red Cross Dog, and Herding
5) To encourage therefore all trial and demonstrations in which those qualities may be shown, so as to
interest the public generally, but especially the police and other municipal organizations in our ideals.
With these principles still guiding us, let our Club today continue to work for the betterment of German Shepherd Dogs in whatever way we are able.