What if My Puppy Has Diarrhea?
There are many causes of diarrhea in puppies…some common, others more serious.
If your puppy has a loose stool or occasional diarrhea:
• Stress (new home, children, crate training etc.);
• Overfeeding or feeding spiced table scraps or gravy;
• Changing food too rapidly;
• Eating things like leaves, mulch, snow, poop etc;
• Giving too many treats
• Change in water.
What to do:
• Give spring or bottled water for a few days and add tap water slowly;
• Stop all treats;
• Call your breeder and consult on the type and amount of food and treats;
• Take a stool sample to your vet.
For severe or bloody diarrhea:
• Other parasites (coccidia, giardia);
• Viral or Bacterial Infections (distemper, parvovirus, canine influenza).
What to do: See a veterinarian immediately. Puppies with vomiting, bloody or projectile diarrhea, or complete loss of appetite can deteriorate rapidly to a life threatening state. The name, phone number and directions to the nearest emergency veterinary facility should be instantly available to all family members.
– contributed by GSDCA member Barbara Lopez